On Panchpatmali hills of Koraput district in Orissa, a fully mechanized opencast mine of 4.8 million tpa capacity is in operation since November, 1985, serving feedstock to Alumina Refinery at Damanjodi located on the foothills.
Presently, the capacity is being expanded to 6.3 million tpa.
The salient features:
- Area of deposit - 16 sq. km.
- Resource - 310 million tonnes
- Ore quality - Alumina 45%, Silica 2%
- Mineralogy - Over 90% gibbsitic
- Over burden - 3 meters (average)
- Ore thickness - 14 meters (average)
- Transport - 14.6 km long single flight multicurve cable belt conveyor of 1800 tph