Captive Power Plant
Close to the Aluminium Smelter at Angul, a Captive Power Plant of 960 MW capacity, comprising 8 x 120 MW clusters, has been established for firm supply of power to the Smelter.
Presently, the capacity is being expanded to 1200 MW.
The salient features:
- Micro-processor based burner management system for optimum thermal efficiency
- Computer controlled data acquisition system for on-line monitoring
- Automatic turbine run-up system
- Specially designed barrel type high pressure turbine
- Electrostatic precipitators with advanced intelligent controllers
- Wet disposal of ash
The water for the Plant is drawn from River Brahmani through a 7 km long double circuit pipeline. The coal demand is met from a mine of 3.5 million tpa capacity opened up for Nalco at Bharatpur in Talcher by Mahanadi Coalfields Limited. The Power Plant is inter-connected with the State Grid.